Thursday, May 2, 2013

What I wrote for school on PCOS

My paper for school. The last paragraph made me cry as I was typing it. I am so blessed to have my family for suport.


The reproductive system in males consists of the testes, ducts, urethra, seminal vesicles, prostate gland, bulbourethral glands, scrotum, and penis. Testes are small ovoid organs, each about 4-5 cm long, with in the scrotum. The urethra is about 20 cm long and extends from the urinary bladder to the distal end of the penis. The penis is the male organ of copulation through which sperm cells are transferred from the male to the female. The prostate gland is about the size and shape of a walnut.
            The reproductive system in females consists of the ovaries, uterine tubes, uterus, vagina, external genital organs, and mammary glands. The ovaries are small organs attached to the posterior surface of the broad ligament by a peritoneal fold called the mesovarium meaning mesentery of the ovary. The uterine tubes are also called the fallopian tubes or oviducts. They are on each side of the uterus and each attached to the ovary. The vagina is a tube about 10 cm long that extends from the uterus to the outside of the body. The vagina is the female organ of copulation its function is to receive the penis during intercourse it also allows menstrual flow and childbirth. As I am typing this it is making me not want children naturally I cannot believe that a baby can come out of such a small opening.
            The disease I have chosen to write about is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome also known as PCOS. PCOS is an endocrine condition that is sometimes seen in women of childbearing age who have difficulty getting pregnant. The reason why I wanted to write about PCOS is because I was diagnosed with it in 2010 and my sister was diagnosed with it in 2005. PCOS generally runs in sisters and cousins, meaning that even if your mother has it you will have a chance of not getting it. PCOS affects the female reproductive system as a whole. PCOS is some cases cause the female not to ovulate in return affecting the ovaries, uterus, and uterine tubes. I am not saying that PCOS does not affect men; it affects them emotionally more than physically.
High levels of testosterone can lead PCOS.  Women with PCOS have symptoms similar to those produced by high testosterone levels. They include: obesity, excessive or thinning hair growth, acne, menstrual irregularity. In my case I do not ovulate causing my ovaries to be covered by cysts and I do not get a menstrual flow. PCOS is associated with: higher levels of circulating male hormones, insulin resistance, carbohydrate intolerance, high LDL (bad) cholesterol, high blood pressure. My testosterone level is much higher than my estrogen level, which can make it very hard to keep a handle on my emotions do to the estrogen I need to put in my body.
The medications used to help with PCOS are the following.  Metformin (Glucophage) is a treatment for controlling insulin, blood sugar levels, and androgen levels. Clomiphene citrate (Clomid, Serophene) can be combined with metformin if metformin has not triggered ovulation. Combining the two treatments can make it more likely that clomiphene will work. Medroxyprogesterone (Provera) is used to treat conditions such as absent or irregular menstrual periods, or abnormal uterine bleeding. Most doctors with prescribe Provera so the patient will a menstrual flow so they can begin taking Clomid and Metformin on day five of the menstrual flow.
In my personal experience PCOS causes extreme cramps, hot flashes, excessive unwanted hair growth and the worst of it all infertility. I believe infertility should not be a subject taken lightly. Infertility is a major disease that will affect more than just the reproductive system. Sometimes I will randomly start crying because eyes of a women fighting for life, not her own life but for the life of her unborn children. my hormones are so out of control. Every time I go into a Wal-Mart bakery I start crying at the fact that it is my fault that my husband cannot have a son or daughter. Being infertile and fighting with all my might against PCOS is a daily struggle. PCOS is not a disease that can be seen on the surface but it can be seen in the eyes of a women fight for a life, not her own life but the life of her unborn children.

No comments:

Post a Comment